First bake a loaf of bread that is too squat by half.
To prepare the breadcrumbs:
- Slice the bread into thin slices
- Arrange the slices on a sheet pan
- Gently bake in the oven at 170 degrees F overnight.
- At this point, the dried slices will keep nicely in the oven until you have time to pulverize them into breadcrumbs.
- Forget about the bread in the oven.
- On a chilly morning, set the oven on Self-Clean for 3 hours.
The Unfortunate Breadcrumbs double as charcoal. You can see the embers in the slices!